Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Shop Puppetry Practice

Posted 12-16-2019 09:37
    Hello!

We are going to be starting a production of Little Shop in January, but we don't get our Audrey 2 until February. How would you rehearse with your puppeteers when you don't have your puppet? Any advice?

Also, how have you gone about casting them? Do you have them try out something?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jaclyn Marta
    Moline IL

• 2.  RE: Little Shop Puppetry Practice

Posted 12-17-2019 08:30
    I love this show, we open the production in January.  It is the third time I have produced it, so I think I have answers for you.  The puppets are not difficult.  I highly recommend a swimmer to be inside.  The reason being is they are usually lean with upper body strength.  They need to know the lines and the songs as well as the singer.  We also had a good time with reactions, the puppet should move its head to react or look in the direction of the person they are attacking or speaking to in the scene or song.  Have them sit where the giant puppet will be during blocking so they will be able to follow the characters.  Simply use a sock puppet for the smaller to practice direction of the face and having to do 2 things at one time.  Let me know if you need anything costumes or props wise, our run is Jan 23-26 in Romeo MI.

Kendra Knoblock
    Teacher - Director
    Rome0 MI

• 3.  RE: Little Shop Puppetry Practice

Posted 12-17-2019 08:47
    All of Kendra's advice is spot on, especially in terms of  putting someone who is in good physical shape in the pod.  I've directed Little Shop twice,and both of my Podreys (Audrey inside the plant) learned quickly to stretch before performing and to work on their core strength.  Also, 
    Having the actors playing body and the voice work together as a team from the beginning is crucial   The more time they spend together developing a single character will help the final product.

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 4.  RE: Little Shop Puppetry Practice

Posted 12-17-2019 08:49
    HI Jaclyn,
    As an alternative, if you're not locked in, i own the Audrey II sets and could rent them to you and give them to you for your entire rehearsal period.  I'm in Indianapolis.  Let me know if you're interested.  Otherwise, best of luck with the show - one of my favs!

Thanks, 
    Nathan

Nathan Shewell
    Theatre Arts Director
    INDIANAPOLIS IN

• 5.  RE: Little Shop Puppetry Practice

Posted 12-18-2019 15:52
    Hi, all--terrific to hear of all the passion for and experience with "Little Shop of Horrors"!  I've puppet coached many productions of this terrific show, and puppeteered it myself several times, so have the following to offer if it's of use:

1) AUDITIONS: absolutely hold auditions for these roles, and have a primary puppeteer and a puppet master as well that can train as second/back up puppeteer (as well as puppet master = take care of the puppets, set, re-set, etc.).  I find it crucial to announce and hold auditions for puppeteers at the same time as the other performers--it's very important to integrate the puppeteers into the "bigger picture" so that they feel as much a part of the show as all others and, most importantly, so that the rest of the cast gives the puppeteers the respect they earn and deserve.   I usually do a group audition for the puppeteers, leading them through a physical warm up, then through some theatre games that will show give and take (e.g. mirrors, zip zap zop) and comfort with objects (the prop game).  I tend to do more "formal" puppetry activities as part of that audition, too, but no need--all you need to look for is a sense of strong physicality, an ability to sync up with someone else (to "disappear" into the work) and a comfort level with objects.  Making the auditions for this "formal" is a great way to instill pride and a level of "seriousness" right off the bat.

2) REHEARSALS:  get the puppeteer(s) blocked into the spots in the regular blocking rehearsals--again, for a sense of respect and teamwork as well as the basic knowledge of the piece.  Have puppeteers attend music rehearsals, too, sitting right by VOP (voice of plant) so he/she/they start to breathe, think, react with the singer.  in rehearsals, I would absolutely have the puppeteers "mime" the actions of the puppet(s) that they will be using, to build arms, thighs, etc.

Just some general thoughts to accompany the great ones already given--feel free to reach out directly as/if needed.

Best wishes!
    ~Aretta

Aretta Baumgartner
    Education Director
    Center for Puppetry Arts
    Atlanta, GA
    www.puppet.org
    arettabaumgartner@puppet.org