Open Forum

View Only

An Opportunity

• 1.  An Opportunity

Posted 08-26-2018 15:41
    Fellow Theatre Educators,

I have just finished reading Jonathan Dorf’s Declaration. It’s is fresh off the keyboard and Jonathan is looking for schools to premiere it. The piece is a school shooting play that focuses on the students in the school, not the shooter. It is a moving, at times humorous work that really explores how these students are affected by these events that keep happening in our nation. (One Act - Run time 35-45 minutes)

After reading it and speaking with Jonathan, I thought I would reach out to this community with an idea. We are all theatre practitioners here who know the power of our medium. My hope is that we can get a group of schools across the nation to mount this production simultaneously.

I am planning on having the show up on January 10 and 11, 2019. It will be a fundraiser for #NeverAgain. Imagine the impact we could have if 10, 20, 50 schools across the US put up this show on the same day! I am going to be in Denver at the National Theatre Educators Conference in a few weeks. I’d like to invite anyone interested in joining this effort to contact Jonathan for a perusal. If you’ll be in Denver, I’d like to schedule a time to meet and discuss the possibility of coordinating our troupes for this educational and socially relevant opportunity. Please message me here.

If you’re interested in a perusal, you can contact Jonathan through this forum. I’m sure he’d be happy to oblige.

This show has a unique perspective on this topic, avoiding the more usual focus on the perpetrator and the immediate victims. Declaration draws focus to the serious ramifications, emotions, and real trauma of all the students at these schools and indeed in our nation. Let’s make an impact nationally that speaks to our communities with the voices of our thespians.

Yours in Art,

Jason

---------------------------------
    Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Membership Chairperson of the Educational Theatre Association Rhode Island Chapter
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-27-2018 05:46

Jason, what an incredible idea! Especially syncing the production dates! Yes, I would love to read it and hopefully produce it!

Peace and blessings,

t

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 3.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-28-2018 10:43
    Fantastic idea!  I, too, would appreciate a perusal copy. 
    Thank you!

------------------------------
    Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 4.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-27-2018 09:00
    I am interested in learning more about it as well!
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Ted Curry
    St. Ignatius College Prep
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-27-2018 09:20
    Great idea. I'd like to read a perusal. I haven't selected my one-act for this year yet. We usually perform at our State festival which is at the end of January. It could possibly work for us. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 6.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-27-2018 12:39
    Jason-

I love this idea. I will be in Denver, and I would love to discuss with the group. How can I request a perusal?

Many thanks, 
    Keri Lesnik

Keri Lesnik
    Director of Theater Arts- Department Chair
    Kent Place School
    Summit, NJ

• 7.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-27-2018 13:10
    Good Afternoon!

I'm very interested in finding more about the piece and the larger project. I won't be able to be at the conference this year because I'm also the choir teacher and have to take students to audition for the East TN Honor Choir. I'd love to be kept in the loop and to read the script. 

Best,
    Jessica

Jessica Magers-Rankin
    Theatre & Choir Director
    Fine Arts Department
    Knoxville Catholic High School
    Knoxville TN

• 8.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-27-2018 13:22
    I would be interested in a perusal as well. My intermediate class could put this on as a class project in their December-January slot.

Barbara Uterhardt
    Performing Arts Director
    Atlanta Girls' School
    buterhardt@atlantagirlsschool.org

• 9.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-27-2018 16:46
    Thanks Jason! This is a wonderful idea. I'm looking for some ideas for an event we do in Illinois called Group Interpretation. Our time limit is under 30 minutes, but this might be a very powerful piece to present to students. Part of our school's preparation is to present it to all of our English classes. This would be great to illicit a discussion. March might be a great month to present these as well since it's "Theatre in Our Schools Month."

James Smith
    Illinois Chapter Director
    Ridgewood High School

• 10.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-28-2018 08:32
    I also think this is an incredible idea.

How do we contact Jonathan for a perusal copy?

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Mark P. Weissman
    Chairman of the Arts
    Staten Island Academy

• 11.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-28-2018 10:03

Thank you so much for sharing this, Jason! I, too, would love to give my students the opportunity to take part. The feelings of connection and action they'll experience by participating will be so empowering. Perhaps we can all use this thread (or another platform?) to connect our students to one another--I know my students would love to "meet" others who are taking part, discuss the experience, and just share! How important for our kids to know they're not alone.

Many thanks again!
    Tasha

Tasha Partee
    Upper School Theatre Teacher
    Lawrence Woodmere Academy
    New York NY

• 12.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-29-2018 16:54

Great Idea.  I'd love to read it.

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 13.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-29-2018 17:50
    I'd love to read Jonathan's script!  Midtown/Charleston Acting Studio often produces plays that focus on important, timely issues. This one is more than timely - it's crucial. 

Our shipping address: 
        Midtown Productions/Charleston Acting Studio
        2210 Weepoolow Trail
        Charleston, SC  29407

Thank you!
    Sheri

Sheri Grace Wenger
    Artistic Director/Midtown Productions
    Charleston Acting Studio
    www.midtownproductions.org
    Charleston, South Carolina

• 14.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-30-2018 10:54
    ​Hi,

I would definitely like to peruse a copy of the play! Thanks in advance.

Jessica Fekete
    Upper Elementary & Middle School Teacher
    Sunrise FL

• 15.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-30-2018 11:20
    Fantastic idea!  This overlaps with our Large Group Speech season, but I'd be interested in seeing if we could fit it in.  I'd love to read a perusal!

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 16.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 08-30-2018 14:33
    Same with us (another Iowa boy!)
    We'd love to take a look.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 17.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 09-03-2018 10:04
    I'd love to read it, also-

Jane Modlin
    Director of Theatre
    Ashland Independent Schools
    Blazer High School
    Ashland, Kentucky

• 18.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 09-04-2018 10:29
    I, too, would be interested in reading this

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 19.  RE: An Opportunity

Posted 09-04-2018 23:16

Thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in Declaration and potentially being part of the Initiative. A number of you have already written me to request a script, but if you haven't, the fastest way to get one is to reach out to me through a private message on this site (just be sure you include your school name if it's not already posted)--that way I can email you back with a script attached--or you can go to the play's page on my website and request a copy there.

Also, be advised that I am waiving royalties for those performances that a) take place during the Initiative weekends (either Jan 10-11 or on the anniversary of Parkland) and b) donate their proceeds to March for Our Lives.

Thank you!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA