Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Costume inventory system

Posted 02-09-2019 21:44
    Today, we began the gargantuan task of going through our costume stock. There were about 30 boxes with no logical system to them. We went through and purged stuff that was damaged, etc. We are left with 21 boxes that my kids have inventoried onto a Google Doc. It's useful, but when they categorize something as "ugly red dress" or "vests from Disaster," or even "jeans," it's not going to make the inventory useful to anyone in the future. My hope is to create something that will outlast me. I looked at costumeinventory.com, but their BEAUTIFUL program was Windows only, requiring the purchase of additional software just to get it to run. We are a Mac only district, plus all of the kids' personal devices are iOS.

Is there anything out there that will help to create a detailed file with photos? Something that is easy to update and, in my dream world, export our list into it so that we only have to add details.

------------------------------
    Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 2.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 02-10-2019 09:58
    Hello all
    we too are looking for a system of organizing our costumes.  We have about 300 boxes/Rubbermaid containers, and about 25 rolling racks. This widdled down over the last few years but it is sometimes hard to find stuff. Has anyone used the link and can share there review of it? How does everyone store costumes?? 

Tha ks for the conversation

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 3.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 02-11-2019 09:39
    The cost depends on what you want.  Their website has a price list here https://www.costumeinventory.com/pricelist.
    I have found the proprietor to be very helpful and absolutely willing to go the extra mile.  Great service.

We were in the same 30-bins, 2 chests and innumerable boxes place and this was the best solution that I found.

We have it installed on our network, and have four different computers accessing it.  There is no web option.

Rob

Robert Forbes
    Managing Director
    Mountain Dream Productions
    Victoria BC

• 4.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 02-10-2019 12:43
    Hello,

We spent three weeks last summer inventorying our Costumes, Set pieces, and Props. There are some really great comprehensive programs out there- and most that are online are going to charge you yearly.

We found a woman with a small program at Costume Inventory Resources. Www.costumeinventory.com

It worked for us because it is a one time payment. She has everything you need. The program catalogues costumes set pieces and props, you can place pictures- log when something needs repair, assign out to actors and productions, create different rentals. 

She also sells barcodes codes in both stick on, and iron on or sew on. She also sells Diddy bags, diddy bag patterns, and costume rack dividers. 

We've been really happy, the program glitches sometimes in small ways, and it would be nice to access it from multiple computers- but it lets you download PDFs, and then we place those on our website for people to look through.

Hope this helps,

Cambria

Cambria Beilstein
    Theatre Arts Director
    San Juan Capistrano CA

• 5.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 02-11-2019 06:57
    Totally agree with Costume Inventory Resources! We recently purchased this system for our theatre and music programs. And Margaret is extremely helpful with computer set-up and offers great support. We have the program installed on 2 laptops so that any 2 departments can be working in the database at the same time: costumes, props, music, equipment etc. You can download a trial version. I highly recommend it.

Peace and blessings,

Tamara Plasterer
    Artistic Director, Fine Arts Dept. Chair.
    Padua Franciscan High School
    Parma OH

• 6.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 02-11-2019 08:03
    How much does the system cost and is it per computer? Do they offer web based options?

• 7.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 02-11-2019 14:19

Pricing depends on what you want/need and you can load the software on a single PC or a network. You can see the pricing on the website https://www.costumeinventory.com/pricelist. We were able to get funding from a few of the parents who have been very involved with costumes and greatly appreciated the efficiency of having the system.

Peace and blessings,

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 8.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 02-11-2019 10:09
    ​I've only just started to play around with it, but AirTable is an online system that allows you to inventory anything.  You can take pictures and categorize costumes/props in any way that works for you.  So you could organize by color, style or time period, etc...  And it's free!  This might be a good place to start.  Airtable: Organize anything you can imagine
    Airtable remove preview
    Airtable: Organize anything you can imagine
    Airtable works like a spreadsheet but gives you the power of a database to organize anything. Sign up for free.
    View this on Airtable >

Emily Call
    Drama Teacher
    Palo Verde High School
    Tucson AZ

• 9.  RE: Costume inventory system

Posted 07-01-2020 09:18
    Hello all,

I found this thread a couple of days back when I started to search for a software program to manage my props inventory. Based on the talks going on here i also also looked at CostumeInventory - this software program looks great but I want to use something which I should have access with just my tablet and should be able to access the reports, inventory, manage orders - basically, I want to know the business insights when I'm on the move.

Someone I know who is using Renetal for quite some time and found this program is solving most of the business problems and said the team is experienced and helped with the initial setup with no additional cost. I looked at their website, looks quite modern but does anyone of you have an experience using them? Your feedback would be appreciated if some of you are using them already?

Literally, my inventory is in a big mess and the business is painfully slow during the Covid-19. But, on the brighter side, I would want to sort out some reliable software program so that we are digitized when we are back in business - hopefully very soon!!! :)

Judy Smith
    Pendleton OR