Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical for Large cast high school no real shiners

Posted 11-11-2021 09:56
    We did Newsies last year with amazing success but my 6 veteran seniors graduated.  Have a large group who are returning and many new folks want to be a part but it's a bit of starting fresh.
    Any Musical suggestions.  It will be very hard to perform to last years level and I want to set this new group up for success.

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Musical for Large cast high school no real shiners

Posted 11-12-2021 08:50
    If you are not looking for a big name show check out  Just Another High School Musical by Bryan Starchman and Steven Murray (Eldridge Publishing).  Hilarious show!!! I have done it twice!!!! Students and audiences loved it.    Pioneer Drama offers a lot of fun shows that are great for those rebuilding years!!!!

Karen Crispin

• 3.  RE: Musical for Large cast high school no real shiners

Posted 11-13-2021 06:40
      |   view attached

Check out WORKING. A wonderful ensemble show with a great message. The revival version even has some songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda! 

Best,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Musical for Large cast high school no real shiners

Posted 11-12-2021 12:16
    Building years certainly do ebb and flow, I'm going through one now as well. We are doing Annie this year. It has minimal featured roles but plenty of minor characters and chorus opportunities to help grow the younger actors and prepare them for bigger roles in the future. And it is still a big name and professional style production that can rival Newsies (not much can really beat Newsies). 

Godspell is a good one as it really only has two named characters and all the other solos, lines and mini skits can be divvied up to showcase the strengths of the rest of the cast. Cast size can be unlimited. This show is incredibly versatile and a lot of fun. It lets the actors bring their own creativity to how they recreate the parables (mini skits) within the show.

The King & I and Wizard of Oz are goods ones to. Minimal lead roles but can have a very large cast.

I've done all of these shows to great success, students and audience loved them. And they all maintain that professional quality.

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School
    CO

• 5.  RE: Musical for Large cast high school no real shiners

Posted 11-12-2021 12:40
    I'm in the same boat, as I imagine many of us are. Thanks for posting the question and looking forward to your ideas!

Stefanie Plumley
    Performing Arts Chair

• 6.  RE: Musical for Large cast high school no real shiners

Posted 11-12-2021 13:12
    We selected Back to the 80's years ago when we were in the same position.  Musical Theatre International holds the rights.  (That apostrophe is no longer considered grammatically correct, and if I had to do it again, I would ask MTI for permission to leave it off in the publicity, posters, and programs.)

The students had great fun.  The faculty members were ecstatic.  It was probably our best-received and attended musical, even though the title was completely unknown. 

The multiple stories are about high school as experienced by a narrator who provides the frame for the musical.  If you've got students who are not quite ready for a starring role, this show gives them opportunities to showcase in one or two songs, or be part of an ensemble and become better singers through rehearsal, rather than having to carry a whole musical.  The songs in the show are ones that were played on radio in the 1980s, so not very challenging musically.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC

• 7.  RE: Musical for Large cast high school no real shiners

Posted 11-12-2021 14:02
    Speaking of things '80s - I'm also considering "Like You Like It" (Broadway Licensing) an 80s take on As You Like It. I love the music, the book is warm and funny and there are good parts for the newbies who are not yet ready to be leads.