Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  110 Stories by Sarah Tuft

Posted 09-21-2021 14:08
      |   view attached
    I wanted to post here to let you all know about the amazing experience my students and I had producing/performing "110 Stories" by Sarah Tuft.  If you haven't read the script, you really should!  It's based on interviews Sarah had with witnesses, survivors, and volunteers from 9/11.  It is powerful, sobering, funny at times, and brings these stories right to the audience in the most intimate of ways.  

My students weren't even born in 2001, yet they treated this script with such respect.  They learned SO much!  And quite honestly, our audiences learned so much as well.

I cast this show at the end of last school year and rehearsed over the summer via Zoom.  It is the perfect show to rehearse over Zoom!  When school started, we put the show on the set and performed it the weekend of September 11th.  

I continue to get correspondences from people who saw the production.  It had such a powerful effect on so many.

I strongly recommend the play!  If you have any questions or would like to see pics, email me and I'll be sure to respond asap.

Thanks,
    Michael W. Rozell
    Belle Vernon Area High School
    Belle Vernon, PA 15012

michael.rozell@bvasd.net

------------------------------
    Michael Rozell

• 2.  RE: 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft

Posted 09-22-2021 16:25
    This sounds really cool.  I will check out the script.  Thanks for posting.

K Lang

• 3.  RE: 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft

Posted 09-23-2021 07:32
    You're very welcome.  I have to say that in my 30 years, this is the most powerful show I've directed.  Of course, performing it the weekend of 9/11 certainly made it that much more impactful.  

If you have any questions feel free to reach out!

Have a good day.
    Michael Rozell

Michael Rozell

• 4.  RE: 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft

Posted 09-23-2021 10:39
    I LOVE this script. I haven't produced it because of the language issues and my unwillingness to change anything about it. Did you keep all of the language in? If not, did the piece "work" with the reduced intensity of the language?

Shira Schwartz
    Basha High School

• 5.  RE: 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft

Posted 09-23-2021 11:12
    Hi Shira,

You should know that Sarah Tuft offers different scripts based on your choices of language.  There's a "clean version" and a "religious version".  Here's a link that explains that: https://www.playscripts.com/play/2487#readmore

But...I chose to use the original script.  My community is pretty forgiving/understanding about language in my shows.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks,
    Michael Rozell

Michael Rozell

• 6.  RE: 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft

Posted 09-23-2021 12:07
      |   view attached

110 STORIES playwright here! Thank you, Michael Rozell, for your enthusiastic endorsement!!

Thank you also, Shira, for your kind words about the play! As Michael kindly pointed out, Playscripts keeps on file both "Clean" (no expletives) and "Religious" (no potential blasphemy) versions. I also work with those who want to mix and match from the original one, with its authentic expressive language…

The play can be cast with as many as 26 actors or as few as 8 of any gender and ethnicity - all speaking roles. 110 STORIES requires minimal set pieces and inspires maximum creativity in its staging. You can see some of the great staging ideas in the attached one-sheet (alongside some of the renowned stars of stage and screen who've performed the play.) I also just started a Facebook community where I encourage schools and theaters to post their stills. https://www.facebook.com/groups/110stories

I love that students are learning about 9/11 though 110 STORIES whose take-away is the importance of compassion and service as our response to crisis - a message even more relevant today…

For more info, check out sarahtuft.com/110-stories-play

All best, 
    Sarah

Sarah Tuft

Attachment(s)

pdf
    110StoriesOneSheet.pdf   2.59 MB 1 version