Open Forum

View Only

Halloween Play recommendations

• 1.  Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 06-07-2021 14:48
    HI All,
    It looks like our fall play will be going up on Halloween weekend.  I'm looking for recommendations of non-musical Halloween-themed plays, ideally with lots of good female roles.  Can be comic or just plain scary.
    Thanks for your recommendations!
    Chad

------------------------------
    Chad Fisk

• 2.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 06-08-2021 12:13
    very still & hard to see by Steve Yockey. It's not Halloween-themed, but it is a dark, creepy haunted hotel story. It goes to some difficult places and may be darker than what you are looking for, but it is a fantastic play! Lots of good roles for women. It can be done with as little at 8 people (4m, 4w) but we did it with 19, with a large ensemble that was involved in every scene. We had no issue getting cuts approved - mainly for language and length. I had to submit the specific cuts we wanted and it took maybe four weeks to hear back, but they were all approved.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-17-2021 16:20
    HI I love that Very Still!
    It looks like it will really push the actors! We are at a pretty liberal school in Denver. I don't worry about the language as much as references is Bleach and other household cleaners. How did your community respond there?

Megen Gilman
    Theatre Director
    North High School

• 4.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-17-2021 20:37
    As far as I know, we had no negative feedback. We did tone some things down through cuts, including the bleach scene the renovation scene (some of the details about her experience with her grandfather). We also cut the hearts and flowers scene entirely - mainly for time since it was our competition play and it had to be under 55 minutes. Everyone involved - actors and tech - loved the play.  I'd love to talk more about it since I love the play and love what we were able to create with it. Send me a pm if you want to know more about what we did and the challenges we had. And if you like very still, check out Bellwether, also by Steve Yockey. Another fantastic, dark play that students can handle.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 07-02-2021 10:57
    Blithe Spirit

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 07-10-2021 15:02
    We did NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD for Halloween (all in black and white colors). It was fun!

Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher
    Mukwonago High School

• 7.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-17-2021 23:10
    Last year I did three evenings of three different 60 minute plays that we title "Fright Fest" which each night a different performance with a different cast and we did it outside.

It was a lot of fun. We sold cider and doughnuts for concessions. The cast carved pumpkins and we used them as markers for the 6ft distance we needed to maintain for Covid precautions.  

The shows were:
    • A Ghost for Rosanda by Herman O. Ammann
    • Dracula by Elizabeth Salazar
    • Ghost Hunt by Brian D. Taylor

They were all three fun and a little scary. Dracula was great because the author made Dr. Van Helsing and Renfield  female characters and allowed me to make Dracula female.  That gave some really wonderful roles to women. A Ghost for Rosanda was a cast of 6 women and 2 men so that worked great for my needs. Ghost Hunt we took inspiration from Scooby Doo but the twist at the end was a great surprise. They were all three different in style and approach but all three worked for our outdoor Halloween themed event.

The three different casts lent itself to a manageable rehearsal schedule and allowed me to feature about 30 actors between the three shows.

I also like It Was a Dark and Stormy Night by Craig Sodaro.  Not Halloween themed, but fun with the dark and stormy night theme.

John Rutherford
    Groves Performing Arts Company
    W.E. Groves High School
    Beverly Hills MI

• 8.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-18-2021 07:28
    I think this would be a great opportunity to do Trap by Stephen Gregg. If you want to do one-acts, look at Monster by @Don Zolidis and Shuddersome by Lindsay Price (tales of Edgar Allen Poe). I also saw an awesome one-act adaptation of Frankenstein called The Trial of Ygor, though I'm not sure it's available since it was custom written for that school.​

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 9.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-24-2021 18:45
    "Trap" is great -- it was our spring 2020 production and translated well to video, but I think it would be AMAZING live. "Trap" playwright Stephen Gregg also has a new playing coming out called "Ghostlight" which is less scary, but still has Halloween-like material, and also has great roles for girls.
    https://www.playscripts.com/play/5056

Cora Turlish

• 10.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-30-2021 13:35
    Thanks so much, Cora!

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright

• 11.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-18-2021 14:05
    Earnest and the Pale Moon.
    Wiley and the Hairy Man

Heather Davidson
    Drama Faculty
    Davidson Fine Arts School
    Augusta,GA.

• 12.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-19-2021 19:28
    Hi Chad,
    We had great success with Steven Dietz's "Dracula"  It's a very well done adaptation and very spooky!  It's PG for sure.
    Good luck,
    Tiffany

Tiffany Daily
    Castro Valley High School

• 13.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-23-2021 09:06
    Mr. Fisk...
    How about...The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 by John Bishop? Its a little bit scary, a lot funny. If you liked the movie Clue, you'll like this play. 
    Good luck!
    DMH

David Holmes

• 14.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 08-24-2021 08:22
    I Am Frankenstein by John Haman. Really nice female roles, flexible gender for many roles. Will be published in the next month, so contact playwright directly for now. 
    https://www.hamanplaywright.com/i-am-frankenstein

Sarah Haman
    Troupe Director
    Lakeside High School

• 15.  RE: Halloween Play recommendations

Posted 09-21-2021 10:54
    The Weir by Connor McPherson. Its a highly acclaimed Irish play about four men and a woman in an old pub as they tell ghost stories to each other. The play is obviously more than just ghost stories, but is one of McPherson's best.

Paula Gor