Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Oz leads vs. supporting roles (for Thespian points)

Posted 04-26-2022 11:29
    For those of you who have given Thespian points for Wizard of Oz, do you consider Oz himself, Glinda, and the Witch to be leads or supporting roles?  I've always viewed only Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, and Lion as leads with Glinda, Oz, Witch being supporting roles.  How have others weighted them for Thespian points?  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher
    Mukwonago High School
    WI

• 2.  RE: Oz leads vs. supporting roles (for Thespian points)

Posted 04-27-2022 08:52
    I go based on how many hours that cast member spent in rehearsals and performances. I only require individuals that are in the scenes we are working on that day to be at rehearsal. It is easy to go back and look at how many rehearsals that person would have been at to determine their hours. For every 10 hours of work they earn a point. This also helps when you have that individual that is playing two or more minor roles in a show. They may have just as many hours invested as someone that has a lead and should earn the points they deserve regardless if they are a major role or not.

Amy Williams
    District Librarian/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8881
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, IL

• 3.  RE: Oz leads vs. supporting roles (for Thespian points)

Posted 04-27-2022 08:53
    I think it depends more on how many hours each student put in. We just finished Footloose and everyone in the teen ensemble will get 5 points since we spent so much time on choreography - they easily put in over 50 hours.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Oz leads vs. supporting roles (for Thespian points)

Posted 04-27-2022 11:01
    We did Wizard of Oz several years ago and for Thespian points we categorized Glinda, Witch and Oz as supporting roles. We also had our show adjudicated for the Bobby G awards (similar to the Tony awards but for high school) here in Colorado. They only consider Dorothy, Lion, Tin Man and Scarecrow as leads. We were told that Glinda, Witch and Oz were supporting roles for their criteria. And that makes sense since they don't have nearly the same amount of stage time nor do they have solos. The Bobby G board just confirmed for us what we had already considered as leads and supporting.

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School
    CO

• 5.  RE: Oz leads vs. supporting roles (for Thespian points)

Posted 04-27-2022 17:34
    I always awarded points based on hours of excellent theatre work completed. 10 hours equal 1 point.

Jacquie Thompson-Mercer
    Retired, Bakersfield High School
    California Educational Theatre Association
    Emeritus Member, California Thespian Board
    Bakersfield, CA