Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Seussical Versions

Posted 12-19-2019 13:59
    Seussical is on my short list for our spring musical and I'm going to look at the perusals over the Christmas break.  My question, before I get to scripts, what can anyone tell me about differences between the full version and the TYA 75-minute version?  Someone I spoke with a couple of weeks ago said they preferred the TYA version because it streamlined the story a bit, but was just curious to hear some of your thoughts on any pros and/or cons with either version.

------------------------------
    Jeremy Grant
    Berea KY

• 2.  RE: Seussical Versions

Posted 12-20-2019 05:38

We did Seussical last Spring and I had the same question. We ended up doing the full version and it still runs less than two hours. The Junior version eliminates the General (thus the cadets) and Circus Magurkis (spelled that wrong I'm sure) and I think Mazie in Palm Beach as well.

We were thinking of eliminating the circus because we thought it would be too tricky to stage but it was actually really easy and our Mazie in Palm Beach turned out to be a very funny scene. 

We had an absolute blast with the show! Have fun! And if you need Gertrude tail ideas message me ... I made the costume and it turned out beautiful. 

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 3.  RE: Seussical Versions

Posted 12-20-2019 10:15
    We just finished Seussical! As toni said those are the main differences, general was a great opportunity to get one of our football players on stage! It added some laughs while he still did a tremendous job! Mayzie in palm beach is  a great bit and gives you lots of material to play with. We made the decision to do the show with no blackouts and had our thing one and two directing our stage crew who were all dressed like construction workers moving set pieces and props in the background, made for a funny bit and the show seemed to fly by!

Bruce Udell
    Gaylord MI

• 4.  RE: Seussical Versions

Posted 12-20-2019 11:11
    I just closed 16 sold out performances of the full version with a cast and staff of 45, ages 8-70 in community theatre. We loved the process and production. From my experience, you MUST have a wonderful vocal director who teaches the complicated vocals; the choreography must be carefully integrated to the vocals; I found myself realizing there are very few stand alone lines of dialogue; the spoken lines have to spoken to tempo. 

Gai Laing Jones
    President of Educational Theatre Association (EdTA), National Board Member of Educational Theatre Foundation (ETF), CETA Executive Board, DTASC Advocacy Director, SAG/AFTRA Member

• 5.  RE: Seussical Versions

Posted 12-20-2019 11:15

Our SEUSSICAL company photo attached.
    Enjoy. 

We worked with the school district. If an audience member brought a new or gently used Dr. Seuss book to the Box Office, they received a discounted ticket. We donated over 50 books to the schools. 

Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com