Open Forum

View Only

What does your season look like?

• 1.  What does your season look like?

Posted 02-12-2019 21:08
    I am thinking of shaking up my program.  How many shows do you do a year?  What kind?

------------------------------
    Tracey Buot
    Performing Arts Dept. Chair
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 2.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-13-2019 04:30
    4 shows, and a parade. I have an after school program and an in-school TYA class. Usually a straight play for the Fall after school show and a play for Kinder-2nd grade from the TYA class. Then we do the city Christmas parade (based on whatever the theme is that year). The spring is an after school musical, and another TYA show targeting 3rd-5th grade. This year the calendar is VERY Spring-heavy, and it has been tough. 

Our 18-19 season looks like this:
    Romeo and Juliet
    Parade
    Junie B Jones: The Musical
    Peter Pan
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Bret Cherland
    Hemet CA

• 3.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-13-2019 07:39
    Fall One Act
    Winter Play-- Usually goes up around Dec 12
    Some sort of Class showcase
    Spring One Act coupled with small showcase of scenes, often there has been some student written work in this slot
    Short film
    Annual Spring Musical-- going on 50 years, BTW
    This year we are performing at the annual retirement banquette as well with some small selections from musical theater
    Some sort of Class showcase

Some things we like to do, but often don't have time-- elementary school and middle school showcase or one act performances, a coffee house/open mic night sort of thing

I like the parade idea and sometimes we will walk behind our band in support of the winter play, just sort of depends on the costuming situation for that year.

Some things I'd like to do-- smaller quicker productions, with more performance dates-- sort of rapid fire production; site based theater maybe out of doors.....

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-14-2019 08:34
    Fall Improv Show
    Chapter Thespian Festival
    Musical (Kiss Me, Kate)
    Children's Show (The Lion,the Witch, and the Wardrobe)
    One acts (Large Group competition)
    Winter Show (Radium Girls)
    Individual Events (Competition)
    Spring Improv Show
    Spring Show (She Kills Monsters)
    Murder Mystery/Comedy (Often something from www.mysteriesbymoushey.com)

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 5.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-13-2019 09:28
    Here's what we did this year:

1. Our school does an annual Renaissance Faire, with all departments/extracurriculars contributing in some way. My theater kids create and perform ten minute Ren-topical plays, which they perform in rotation throughout the day.
    2. Our Fall Scene Night is a collection of shorts and one-acts chosen and directed by students.
    3. We did a dinner-theater one act, as a benefit to raise money for a scholarship foundation in the name of my late predecessor.
    4. We do a project called Story Pirates in the spring. All the students in the third grade write an original story, and the high school theater students take a handful of them and stage them as plays, exactly as written, with found costumes and props.
    5. Our one full-length for the year is our Spring Play, which we do in March.

No musicals (yet), and only one full length, but most of my students are also heavily involved in our local community theater (which I also run), and that does four full length plays/musicals a year, so they get a very broad experience and stay very busy.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 6.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-13-2019 11:55
    We are an independent school, grades K - 12.
    Extra-Curricular productions: Fall Play and Spring Musical
    Co-Curricular: we work skills/technique in the fall and each class performs in the spring. So between the end of March and May we have:
    6th grade Musical - a jr. version
    Musical Theatre I (grades 7 - 9) - a jr. version
    Musical Theatre II (grades 9 - 11) full-length musical
    Musical Theatre III (grades 10 - 12) full-length musical
    Beginning Theatre (grades 7 - 8) one-acts
    Intermediate Theatre (grades 9 - 10) one-acts
    Advanced Theatre (grades 11 - 12) one-act or full-length, often original material

• 7.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-13-2019 12:20
    Fall (November): mainstage play
    Winter (late January or early February): student-directed one-act plays
    Spring (mid-May): Mainstage play (musical every other year)

We do Shakespeare once every 4 years, on an off-musical year, usually in the Spring, or whatever season fits the show.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 8.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-13-2019 16:34
    We do a full-length extracurricular play in the fall. 

Simultaneously, our Theatre II class writes and performs a children's play, which we take to our elementary schools.  Our feeder schools are close enough for us to travel to one a day, perform a 25 minute play, then travel back within our 90 minute class.

For the past 4 years, we have also performed my adaptation of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, rehearsing about 3 weeks.  Students can opt to stay in parts, so we hold auditions for the fall show and Christmas Carol at the same time, and students come in virtually off-book.  This is a fundraiser that the community really looks forward to.

In the spring, our full-length show is produced by the Play Productions, Theatre III, and Theatre IV classes, joined by a vocal music class called Musical Theatre on alternate years to produce a musical.  We only have one week of rehearsals outside of class for this one.

Our extracurricular show in the spring is a collection of eight to ten 10-minute plays we call Quixotica.  Thespians submit plays to direct, then we hold auditions all together.  Each show rehearses 2 days a week for about a month, then we perform for 2 weekends.  For the last several years, nearly all of the plays have been student-written.  This show pays for our hotel rooms for the state Thespian festival.  I mentor directors.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 9.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-14-2019 08:43
    Our upper school does three plays as part of the required co-curricular after school program. In the winter, the play is a musical. The fall is at the end of October, the winter is the first weekend in February, and the spring is the beginning of May. A few years ago we began picking a theme for our season- previous themes have been Looking for America (plays that looked at less common elements of American life: Anon(ymous), Rent, and The Insect Play) and The Stories We (re)Tell (plays that have retell stories throughout time and cultures: Big Love,Fiddler on the Roof, and The Secret in the Wings). This year we've moved to the entire arts department exploring the theme, which is an exploration of the 21st century teenage voice. Our season is Brainstorm (a terrific devising piece about the teenage brain. Highly recommend. here, Shaina Taub's new As You Like it adaptation (also highly recommend), and 21 Chump Street with two new commissions. 

In March we do a middle school production, which rotates every three years between a musical, a play, and a Shakespeare festival. In May, advanced students perform a culminating project- in even number years it is for a Theater and Social Change class and in odd number years it is a different focus. Other theater classes will present from time to time at a monthly arts event. 

Hope that helps.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 10.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-14-2019 10:46
    For our theatre shows:
    We do a fall play (usually goes up mid September)
     Fall Musical (mid November)
    Fresh/Soph Play (End of January) 
    Winter play (early March) 
    One Acts (Mid -End of April)

Our improv troupe performs 1-2 times a year, we also have an Acting 3(class) performance (in early Dec)
    and other variety type shows through out the year as well.

Aimee Evans
    Technical Director
    Lincolnshire IL

• 11.  RE: What does your season look like?

Posted 02-14-2019 12:25
    • Fall Play in November (Non-Musical)
    • State Theatre Competition in January (Scenes, Monologues, Improv, Pantomime, Shakespeare, Musical Solos/Pairs)
    • Spring Musical in late March
    • Theatre Studio Class Production in May(45-60 minute play)
    • Director's Showcase in late May/Early June (student directed scenes)

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ