Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spamalot

Posted 03-17-2017 12:27
    Hello Theatre Teacher Community,

I am wondering if anyone has done Spamalot or the Spamalot School Edition?
    What did you like about doing this show?
    What challenges did you face (content, vocal and music, tech, etc).

I'm looking ahead to planning my school's musical next year, and this one has come up in conversation. I am a BIG Monty Python fan, and would love to do it, but want to hear from others who have done it at the high school level.

Thank you for any input!

Jessica Rempel
    English Teacher
    Theatre Arts Director
    Mt. Spokane High School

• 2.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 03-18-2017 07:29
    I like the show as well. I would have to say the one big drawback that has kept me from producing it is that there is seriously only one female role in the show. It's The Lady of the Lake and a bunch of chorus girl dancers with no lines. I have a pretty decent number of boys in my program but even still, I don't think I could chose a musical with only one female speaking role. 

The publisher does provide some suggestions for turning some of the smaller roles into females, but even with those changes it's a very heavy guy show with not much to do for more than the one girl. 

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 3.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 03-19-2017 09:16
    There are lots of roles girls CAN play in the show WITH SOME creative casting! We cast females in he roles of Not Dead Fred, the Historian, the page who gets shot with an arrow -- I forget the name -- the Knights who Say Ni, and more! I think the French Taunters, many of the Knights could all be played by females. We did lots of cross casting and none of my very talented ladies complained of being under-used.

• 4.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 03-18-2017 07:37
    Hello. We were one of the first schools to present SPAMALOT and it was a tremendous experience. TRW provides many support materials including a guidebook with many changes you can make if necessary.

My students loved working on the play and bringing their own sense of humor to the hysterical play.

The set can be simple or extravagant. The ethos of the play lands itself to a simple/creative design. In some ways, the simpler the design, the funnier the play is. The black knight is a challenge but almost any creative solution will work.

My students had no trouble adapting to the Python humor. We had some students audition for the first time because the love Python.

There is lots of opportunities for kids to shine: actors, singers, dancers.

I'm ready to do it again!

• 5.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 03-18-2017 11:07

I would be curious as well! Thanks for the post!

Tamara Plasterer
    Director of Vocal Music & Theatre - Department Chair /Fine Arts
    Padua Franciscan High School
    tplasterer@paduafranciscan.com
    P 440.845.2444 x145
    F 440.845.5710
    6740 State Road Parma, OH 44134

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 6.  RE: Spamalot

Posted 03-20-2017 12:52
    We did the show last year and were able to cast quite a few females (at least in the school edition). TRW is really good about having the options for programs with larger female talent. We had, of course, a large female ensemble and we also cast Patsy, Historian, Head Ni Knight, and we added 2 "handmaidens" into every Lady of the lake scene (excluding her solo in act 2) which looked great onstage since she was always framed (and added to the "diva" elements that gave "Whatever Happened To My Part" more "oomph").

It was really popular with more the performers and the audience. Renting some of the necessary props and costumes got a little bit pricey, but we still made money on the production. 

I'd go for it! :^)

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ
    ------------------------------