Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One-act plays for middle school and high school

Posted 07-15-2021 12:52
    Hello! I am looking for one-act play suggestions for a fall performance the week before Thanksgiving. I have been reading older threads on one-act plays and the current threads on upcoming seasons, and I thought I would give some details and see if anyone was inspired with ideas!

• Our drama club encompasses students in Grades 4-12. Last year was my first year at the school, and we did one outdoor play in the spring with 15 performers, so I need small/flexible casts.
    • My hope is to find a mix of one-acts with some connection. Currently I'm leaning toward doing a pair - one more geared toward middle school and one to inspire the high schoolers.
    • It would help with recruitment (especially since I'm still new) if there was something familiar about the material. For example, I was considering The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza, Alice in Wonderland, and Shakespeare variations. Our spring musical will be Into the Woods Jr., so I was avoiding fairy tales.
    • The performance may be in the theater or outdoors, depending on protocols.

Thank you for sharing any suggestions that come to mind!

Laura

------------------------------
    Laura Butchy
    BASIS Independent McLean

• 2.  RE: One-act plays for middle school and high school

Posted 07-28-2021 11:11
    Are you looking for more of a comedy or drama for the high schoolers? I don't really work with the younger kids so I don't have an immediate option for them. I can think of several for your 9-12th graders though. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Basha High School

• 3.  RE: One-act plays for middle school and high school

Posted 07-29-2021 10:08
    Comedies for high schoolers, please! That would be great.

Laura

Laura Butchy
    BASIS Independent McLean

• 4.  RE: One-act plays for middle school and high school

Posted 07-29-2021 10:54
    My kids really like various Shakespeare (abridged)'s that Larry Nehring wrote. We've also had fun with Yuri Baranovsky's 11 Variations of Friar Johns Failure, Drugs Are Bad by Jonathan Rand, The end of Civilization As We Know It by Mark D. Kauffman, and several of the Don Zolidis How To Survive The End Of... series. 

All of these are on Playscripts.com, so you can peruse them to see if any might work for you. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Basha High School