Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Playscripts - Zolidos

Posted 01-15-2021 13:32
    I have a friend I am posting for...

So I ordered the one-act version of Don Zolidis' 10 Ways to Survive Life in Quarantine last week (1/4).  We paid for the virtual cast script, 2 performances, and the video archival rights.  However, we underestimated how many kids would audition and be interested. 
    I emailed Playscripts a couple of times, to see if it was possible for us to swap the one-act for the full length (I believe they are both the same price) but I haven't heard back. I even offered to pay for the full length script in addition to the one-act script we already purchased if we could keep the video rights and performance rights that were already paid for and use it for the full length version.  Same writer - same show - same price - we just need to be able to accommodate for more kids. I also called the number on Playscripts website, but it said the number couldn't be reached or answered or wasn't working.  We have our first read through on Wednesday and I would like to use the full length script and not double cast the one-act version...I just don't want to have to spend another $300+ to do so, especially for the same play and in a year where we won't have ticket sales income.

Has anyone had problems contacting Playscripts? I am thinking my friend should be able to use the same payment (or put it towards a different amount if it is higher)?

------------------------------
    Mark Zortman
    PA Chapter Director
    chapterdirector@pathespians.org

• 2.  RE: Playscripts - Zolidos

Posted 01-16-2021 08:47
    Hi Mark,

I've read on the High School Theatre Directors and Teachers Facebook page a few posts about people have contact issues with Playscripts.  I found it odd since last spring, the rep I was in contact with was awesome and very responsive when my spring middle school play got postponed and then transitioned into an online production.

Don Zolidis is a member of that group and often posts and replies to posts, so you might try posting there to see if he'll help you out.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/364403460304412 

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 3.  RE: Playscripts - Zolidos

Posted 01-17-2021 15:51

• 4.  RE: Playscripts - Zolidos

Posted 01-19-2021 20:30
    YES!!! 100%  We did Clue: On Stage this fall and it was almost impossible to get a response on anything.  They didn't send us information about streaming until 3 days before the performance!!  I have had the same problems this spring with orders.  They are very quick and happy to take money, but won't respond until I threaten via numerous emails to demand reimbursement for non-performance or violation of contract.  I literally just resolved another issue with Playscripts two days ago after our financial department also emailed them to request a refund due to not providing the purchased scripts.

I have no help to suggest other than numerous and increasingly stern emails.

Wendy Arch
    Language Arts/Drama Teacher
    Indianola High School

• 5.  RE: Playscripts - Zolidos

Posted 01-20-2021 08:44
    Oh my goodness! I wish I'd seen this earlier! We just started rehearsals for Clue: On Stage (safe at home version)- same thing. I do have what I need so far, but we also went with ShowShare and I had to reach out.  I found many other directors having the same responsiveness issues with Playscripts.I feel like this is going to be just another job to keep checking in, etc.

I don't think I'll ever use Playscripts again if I can avoid it.

Hope your show went well!!!

--
    Christine Heckman
    Theatre 
    Central High School

• 6.  RE: Playscripts - Zolidos

Posted 01-19-2021 20:52
    I've done quite a few productions using Playscripts and I'd say 90% of the time I hear back from them within 48hrs. We just did 2 one-acts through them (one Help Desk by Don Z) and for the most part, everything went smooth.  It was a little laggier during Nov & Dec but and sometimes multiple replies about the same question.  My issue is with streaming right and all the licensing houses having their exclusive or preferred platform. We need to rise up...right now we're probably the only way they're making any money. Sorry, tangent. 
    Thus far my communication has been good with them and they have been very accommodating. I think they are struggling like the rest of us.

David Ellis
    Drama and Language Arts Teacher
    Auburn Mountainview High School, Auburn, WA.