Open Forum

View Only

The Curious Savage

• 1.  The Curious Savage

Posted 11-01-2021 12:32
    Hello Troupes:

Hope all are well! Was wondering if there were some folks out there who have produced 'The Curious Savage'? Surprisingly, my students are begging for it and, aside from a read through, I am not familiar with the show. Just asking for some directing perspective on the likes/dislikes, challenges, well received, etc. Thanks!

Brett

------------------------------
    Mr. Brett Hiner
    English Teacher/Drama Director
    Wooster High School
    Wooster, Ohio

• 2.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-02-2021 06:50
    Greetings Brett,
    I produced "The Curious Savage" about 5 years ago with my kids. The interest in the show began when one of my students selected it for a Student-Directed Scene at Thespian competition. After they won a critics choice/Best in Room award, the student director and students in the scene proposed adding the show to our schedule that year. It wound up being a huge hit for us. It's a larger ensemble cast and if you have a strong lead female who can carry the character of Mrs. Savage, you have a show that can't miss. It is a simple unit set with a single location. It is fast paced with doors opening and closing constantly, like any good farce. It almost directs itself, honestly.

If your kids are into it, they have good taste in drama. Congrats to you for teaching them to be discerning students of theatre! 

Break a leg!

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Academic Dean K-12
    Upper School Theatre & Thespian Director
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Naples, FL

• 3.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-02-2021 07:56

This is my absolute  all time favorite play. I've directed it three times and the kids love it as well. Such a gentle show with a sweet message that doesn't hit you over the head. Great character development opportunities. My troupe has adopted the phrase "Take an umbrella, it's raining." as a caring message we can say to one another. In fact, we present our seniors with umbrellas when they graduate. I have my kids read it occasionally when it seems we've lost the momentum of understanding the phrase because it's been awhile between actually doing the show. 

I even had a graduate email me many years after graduating. She sent a picture of her shoulder with her new tattoo: it was an umbrella with that quote encircling it.

id be glad to answer any questions you might have directly. Feel free to contact me.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington Kilbourne High School
    OH

• 4.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-03-2021 08:31
    Holly,
    That just melted my heart. What a wonderful thing when we are able to make a connection!

Marta Carvalho
    Drama Director
    Carlucci American International School of Lisbon, Portugal

• 5.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-02-2021 08:44

Hello,

curious savage was the first so I directed. There is a ton of fun to be had with character depth, comedy, and sweetness. When we did it we were in the end of a gym and sets and lighting were pretty simple.

I would say go for it,
    Tanner

Tanner Oharah
    Choir and Theatre Director
    Buena Vista High School
    CO

• 6.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-02-2021 17:12
    Brett,

We just produced "The Curious Savage" this past weekend.  It was very well received by the cast and audiences.  It is a fun show.  

Thanks,

Joe DePauw
    Geneseo High School
    Geneseo, Illinois

• 7.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-03-2021 09:14
    Yeeeeees!
    Do it! I've directed it twice at 2 different schools and it was great both places! I've just been asked if I'm interested in directing it a 3rd time for a university. It's a great show with a wonderful story!

:-)
    Fredreka Irvine

Fredreka Irvine
    Teacher of Theater Arts
    Pacific Ridge School
    CA

• 8.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-03-2021 10:35
    We did The Curious Savage in the fall of 2019 for the first time and it was wonderful. The kids loved it, I loved it, the audience loved it. It's such an amazing, heartwarming show. We produced it in my Little Theatre that only holds about 120, so it was an intimate experience for all. Sold out just about every night for two weeks and had nothing but praise from the audience. Great characters that are so much fun and just a good message all around. Highly recommend, you'll want to do it again and again!

Summer Rickman
    Hobbs High School
    NM

• 9.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-03-2021 15:28
    I've directed it and loved it. I chose it because it was the first full length comedy I ever got cast in myself, as a freshman in high school, thirty years ago. Nothing objectionable. Every character is fun to play. It's a show that will stick with you for a long time.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 10.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-04-2021 09:52
    I was in this show in high school and have directed it as well!  I highly recommend it!  It is great work of the kids and a real audience pleaser.  The only reason I didn't do it this year was a lack of males.  As soon as I have the right cast, it is happening!!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Georgann Lanich
    Theater Director/Teacher
    GA

• 11.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-04-2021 07:03
    I love this show!  There are so many storylines behind each of the characters.  I think it ranks as was one of my favorite moments of teaching, we brought the show to the State Thespian Festival and the moment at the end of the play we put each character in a downlight dressed as how they envision themselves and the student crowd went silent.  Truly a wonderful show.  
    Take and unbrella its raining out... (will make sense later)  :)

Kendra Knoblock
    Teacher - Director
    Romeo High School

• 12.  RE: The Curious Savage

Posted 11-26-2021 12:25
    Wow, I did this show once upon a time ago and it was great for my students.  I think they really like the old classics.  When I taught a dramatic literature course, we always read "Arsenic and Old Lace" and the truly get a kick out of the storyline.

Savage has such fun characters. My students really grew as performers from this show.

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Pasadena Memorial High School
    Pasadena, Texas