Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help Needed from Anyone Who Teaches and Knows Poetry

Posted 11-17-2021 20:10
    I'm directing a play called PERSONAL HISTORY by Dominic Taylor. It is an African-American drama/comedy. You can find a synopsis of it here:

Some segments of it are very complex, and I'm trying to get a clearer understanding. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find reviews or analyses of the play. I was wondering whether anyone might have time and interest to read the play and give me some feedback. There are only several sections of the play that aren't clear to me. In particular, there is a poem by Joseph S. Cotter that is recited at the end of the play. Some portions of it are clear; others are not. And I'm also questioning why the playwright included it. If you are able to look at it, I can get you a copy. I also believe that Playscripts, Inc. will allow you to read the play free of charge. You can contact me at my personal email which is: scolem4@gmail.com

Stan Coleman (he/his)
    494 West 10th Avenue
    Apt. 406
    Eugene, OR 97401
    Mobile: 541-300-9600

"When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him." 
    Bayard Rustin  

• 2.  RE: Help Needed from Anyone Who Teaches and Knows Poetry

Posted 11-18-2021 06:48
    Hi,

I'm Jen. I'm happy to help where I can. The link on Playscripts ends with the notice that some of the script is missing to protect copyright. I will read what is there.

The email that I keep up with much more quickly is jltrice@vbschools.com. Feel free to reach out and let me know what areas I should dive into more closely.
    Talk soon, 
    Jen

------------------------------
    Jennifer Trice
    Theatre Director
    Green Run High School
    VA

• 3.  RE: Help Needed from Anyone Who Teaches and Knows Poetry

Posted 11-19-2021 11:58
    Hi, Stan.

I'm glad to be of help as well. My PhD is in Black theatre, and I've taught in that subject area on the college and secondary school levels. If you would like to send me a copy via email, my most reachable one is anna.bean@digitaltheatre.com.

All the best,
    Anna

Troy, New York