Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play for Advanced Theatre Class

Posted 12-13-2021 23:36
    Hi there,

Wondering if you have any recommendations of plays that I can read with my advanced theatre class (11 juniors and seniors). I am looking for something mature and rich with detail for them to dive into and hopefully work on scenes from the play.

Thank you!

Jordan Fox
    --

Jordan Fox (she/her/hers) | Area Advisor: Theatre, Performing Arts Teacher (Theatre)

Windward School | 11350 Palms Blvd | Los Angeles, CA 90066

Direct Line (424) 289-1131

For Appointments: jfox-2.youcanbook.me

jfox@windwardschool.org

A dynamic, engaging education. A nurturing, inclusive community.

-----------------

Please note the contents of this e-mail and any attachments are private, confidential, and intended for the recipient.  They may contain information subject to legal privilege and protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §2510 et seq.  Please also be sure to check any attachments for viruses before opening.  Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

• 2.  RE: Play for Advanced Theatre Class

Posted 12-14-2021 08:52
    Hi,

I have read and performed scenes from Doubt and Proof with my drama 2 classes.

Good luck,
    Sheila Newton

• 3.  RE: Play for Advanced Theatre Class

Posted 12-14-2021 09:39
    Here are three that I regularly use with my Advanced Drama class.

The Christians by Lucas Hnath. A serious of quiet, two-person conversations.  I think it forces students to concentrate on what the characters want in each scene. Yes, it deals with Christianity, but I don't think it proselytizes or choose sides. One student said, "I'm an atheist and this is my favorite play we've read."

Five Kinds of Silence by Shelagh Stephenson. About a mother and two adult daughters trying to move on from their monstrously abusive husband/father. It goes to some difficult places, including sexual abuse. It does not offer any easy answers or closure. I think you really get to know the four main characters and what drives them.

Bellwether by Steve Yockey. A young girl mysteriously disappears in a seemingly perfect suburb and the neighbors soon begin to suspect her parents. It gets a bit supernatural. When my Advanced Drama class did scenes from it, it was hands-down the best acting I have seen from a class. For some reason, the students really connected with the scenes and the characters - in part because I think the writing is so clear. Mainly two or three person scenes.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Play for Advanced Theatre Class

Posted 12-15-2021 07:13
    Such great recommendations!

Here are a some more (some may possibly need some kind of trigger warning, FYI): 

The Language Archive, by Julia Cho

Equivocation, by Bill Cain

The Guys, by Anne Nelson

Ada and the Engine, by Lauren Gunderson

Natural Shocks (monologue), by Lauren Gunderson 

A Number, by Caryl Churchill 

Sweat, by Lynn Nottage 

Vietgone, by Qui Nguyen 

W;t, by Margaret Edson

All the Way & The Great Society, by Robert Schenkkan 

• 5.  RE: Play for Advanced Theatre Class

Posted 12-14-2021 11:55
    Hey Jordan,

Here are a few of my current favorites:

Kodachrome, by Adam Szymkowicz
    Silent Sky, by Lauren Gunderson
    Joy Luck Club, by Susan Kim (from the novel)
    Stop Kiss, by Diana Son
    Torch Song, by Harvey Fierstein

Enjoy - hope you have happy holidays ahead!
    -Rob

• 6.  RE: Play for Advanced Theatre Class

Posted 12-15-2021 07:29
    I second Proof and Silent Sky. We have used Picnic, All My Sons, and most recently, She Kills Monsters for class reading and scene study. Other plays that I like and have considered including are Anna in the TropicsThese Shining Lives, I and You (though just two people), Good People, and Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy. Definitely some potential language/trigger warnings in some of these.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA