Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scrim & Projector

Posted 11-05-2021 09:15
    Hello! My drama department is considering getting a new scrim and a short throw projector to use with it. We are looking for recommendations: 
    • best place to buy a new scrim online or recommendations for one to buy if you've purchased one recently 
    • best type of projector to use with a scrim (we won't be able to project images from the front so it will need to be back projected with a short throw)

We are a small, rural school but we do have some funds from several years of fundraising. We want to start exposing our kids to new types of technology on stage and also experiment with some of the projected images that MTI and other companies offer with musicals. We obviously want both products to be of good quality but we also are fairly inexperienced with this so easy of installation and use are also factors. 

We really appreciate your advice and help in this search!

------------------------------
    Cynthia Scherer
    Teacher
    Spearfish High School
    SD

• 2.  RE: Scrim & Projector

Posted 11-06-2021 09:19
    Following !! Same question here!! Just looked into renting a projector for our spring show and it was close to $2000. I would much rather invest in a projector.

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School
    MI

• 3.  RE: Scrim & Projector

Posted 11-07-2021 17:17
    Contact Mitch Stark at mitch@freedomhouseproductions.com 
    I'll be he can help!
    (He makes projections for shows and knows a ton about it)

Chip Rome
    RomeSpecialties.com
    EducationalStages.com
    (505) 847-6637

• 4.  RE: Scrim & Projector

Posted 11-08-2021 14:26
    Someone (either in this group or my FB lighting page) suggested that if you don't do much in the way of projections, renting might be better overall, since the technology is evolving so quickly.  Definitely get in touch with someone knowledgeable who can give you options for your space!

Yvette Geissinger

• 5.  RE: Scrim & Projector

Posted 11-08-2021 13:09
    We contacted a local rep for Optoma Projectors who then came out to our school to demonstrate a high end laser projector.  We ultimately went with a bit lesser of a model, but we have been very happy with the unit overall.  I would imagine that most of the manufactures can refer you to a local sales rep or they might be able to work with you virtually as well. 

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity High School
    NC

• 6.  RE: Scrim & Projector

Posted 11-15-2021 12:23

Hi Cynthia –

I have some good and spotty information.  Sorry to say which projector type or manufacturer you choose is not going to be as critical as the lumens of that projector and a great lens (typically sold separately). If possible, reach out to someone locally that does Audio-Visual rentals.  You may have to do a little digging but it's always best to have a local source.  I have projected scenery many times over the years and there are three critical things to keep in mind when rear projecting images or video onstage.

Len size – typically calculated by the size of the image you want to project and the distance you have to the back or the screen… Extremely important as this calculation affects the sharpness & brightness of the image necessary to punch through stage light.

Projector Lumens – goes hand-in-hand with the lens ratio and distance.  The lumens of the projector needs to be symbiotic with the lens size to ensure a great image quality

Rear projection material – Typically you need to use a rear screen projection material rather than a scrim. (Here is a link to Rose Brands material (https://www.rosebrand.com/product703/Projection-Screen-and-Rear-Projection-Screen.aspx) Rose Brand also sells something called "Super Sheer" which in IFR and come 16'-4" wide (purchase by the yard).  Most Stage Fabric companies will have materials similar to the examples I referenced and their salespeople are usually happy to answer any questions you might have.  The closest one I know of near you is Norcostco (https://norcostco.com/fabric/) in Minneapolis...

Good luck

Don Keith
    Set Designer | Partner
    The KEILIN Group | KL two
    PO Box 1019
    Exton, PA 19341
    o: 610.873.2506
    www.keilingroup.com
    www.kltwo.com
    don@keilingroup.com

• 7.  RE: Scrim & Projector

Posted 11-16-2021 13:26
    We got both our scrim and projector from PNTA, they are highly recommended. Excellent customer service. The scrim should be pretty simple, you just need to know the dimensions and how you plan to hang it. The projector will be more complicated. You will need to know how much space you have behind where you propose to hang your scrim, and do some math with potential projectors/lenses to make sure you get one that is bright enough (projector lumens) and has a short enough throw (lens) to project what you need. With our budget, we ended up with a Eiki projector with 7000 lumens and this lens . I would work with numbers like these at a minimum. In the end, our projector worked well, but still couldn't span the length of our scrim, AND the stage lights washed it out a bit in some scenes where the lights were bright and the projections were darker in color. Worked pretty well for our projections for Big Fish. It wasn't perfect, but it really added a lot to the show. I hope that helps!

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School
    WA