Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scenes for Middle School Students

Posted 01-04-2022 11:34
    Hello!
    I am looking for suggestions for challenging 10 minute scenes for middle school students. 
    I have a great series of 10-minute scenes but many of them are about sex, drugs or have heavy swear usage and my admin team doesn't really love that but I am struggling to find challenging scenes that are age-appropriate.
    If anyone has any book suggestions I can purchase I would really appreciate it!

------------------------------
    Becky Gil
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Willows Preparatory School
    Redmond, WA
    www.willowsprep.com

• 2.  RE: Scenes for Middle School Students

Posted 01-05-2022 06:46
    Check out www.teacherspayteachers.com and do a search for "scripts" and choose middle school grades.  You might find some interesting things.  Also- scripts on this site don't usually have the added expense of royalties for use.

Also - playscripts.com has a lot of great options for middle school plays.

Jeana Whitaker
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    EdTA Alumni
    www.jeanawhitaker.com

• 3.  RE: Scenes for Middle School Students

Posted 01-05-2022 07:08

Hi,

"The Tooth Hurts" by David S Raine from "Ten-minute Theatre" is one my MS students have loved. With the exception of a tiny cameo, it's a wonderful two-hander that allows the students to learn a lot of lines and navigate an arc that is entirely age appropriate.

I tend to prefer 2-3 person scenes at that age, choosing to challenge the students with having to hold a scene together (instead of the maturity of the content bringing the challenge), but there are also some fun larger cast scenes in the book. My students have really enjoyed "Cuttin Line" for six actors and "Writer Left" with four.

David Ives and Christopher Durant are also great sources. Weirder and wackier, but a lot of fun and definitely challenging. 

Good luck!

Alexandra London-Thompson
    Director of Drama
    Miss Porter's School
    Farmington, CT

• 4.  RE: Scenes for Middle School Students

Posted 01-06-2022 16:33
    I have a middle school troupe and understand your problem.  A lot of pre-cut scenes seem to target high school and post high school students.  I usually end up cutting my own scenes from plays. Youthplays, Theatrefolk, and Dramatic Publishing are three of my favorite go-to companies.  Meet the Roommates, Dear Chuck, I Never Saw Another Butterfly, First Person Shooter, and Surviving Lunch all have challenging monologues and scenes and in them.  Wait wait Bo Bait also has scenes for students to work on their comedic timing.

Peggy Matanic
    Wilbur Wright Middle School Theater Company Director
    Munster High School
    mjmatanic@munster.us