Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Awarding Points for Student Writing

Posted 04-06-2020 12:30
    Hello, 

I have seen on the point list how to divy up points for students who write plays, unproduced and produced, but here is the thing.  I have a student who is writing a LOT.  He has written 10 episodes of a screen play and is working with his friends and other students in my ITS troupe to produce them.  Do I give them all points for being in it?  Do I give the writer points for writing them?  That would be 10 points in one year!  Plus, he has written some other plays and screen plays.  He wants to be able to direct one at school and I want to let him, although we only do one full length and one one-act per year, so that's hard to give that up to him.  I just am not sure how to award points for him as he is wracking them up if I just hand them out by 1 point per script.  Should I limit him to a certain amount in a year or only after I read them.  I do not have the time to read them all.  Any thoughts would be helpful to what others do with a prolific writer.  

The other part is that I have two students competing for the most points and he is one of them, but the other has earned all hers from stage managing and more.  The writer is also my ITS President.  

Thoughts?
    Cat

------------------------------
    Catherine Leavitt
    VPA Department Head, Art & Theatre Teacher
    Waterboro ME

• 2.  RE: Awarding Points for Student Writing

Posted 04-06-2020 13:51
    Since I give points for scripts that students write for my class assignments, I always have anyone who is writing one independently adhere to some of the same requirements.  They have to do at least one round of feedback and revisions with me, more if they are going to submit it to a contest for additional points. This has actually limited the number of students outside of class that want to earn points this way.   I think it is absolutely fair to limit them to a certain amount of scripts and/points per year according to how many you have time to read, at the very least. 
    Otherwise, I would use the 1/10 hrs of work as a guide.  I have had some very prolific writers in my class before, and some are not spending 10 hrs on a one-act script...  It is ultimately about quality over quantity.  
    Hopefully, that is helpful.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC