Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre Experience/Paternity Leave

Posted 12-26-2021 20:31
    Hello EdTA community! I'm a high school drama teacher, all boys school, and I am looking for ideas on a two week lesson that is self guided for my students. There will be a sub in the room but I'd like to have something meaningful for them to do in the two weeks that I am gone. This is an Acting II class. I was thinking of giving them a devised project, or perhaps a theatre history project but I'd appreciate some insight and feedback from those of you who have gone on a short leave in the past. Thanks for everything!

--
    John Smiley
    Actor - Director - Teaching Artist
    Actors' Equity Association
    MFA Acting, University of Texas at Austin

• 2.  RE: Theatre Experience/Paternity Leave

Posted 01-05-2022 13:56
    Have you checked the EdTA's Click To Teach lessons and units? I'd start there. 

I would also highly recommend the Daily 8 Count for Musical Theatre dance. It's a lot of fun!

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School
    WA

• 3.  RE: Theatre Experience/Paternity Leave

Posted 01-06-2022 10:02
    There are Emergency Sub plans and self-guided "take-home" lessons available from Drama Teacher Academy that are worth looking into. I also recommend the theatre history videos available from PBS Crash Course Theatre.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 4.  RE: Theatre Experience/Paternity Leave

Posted 01-11-2022 15:11
    John,

Cassie and Chris stole my thunder. You could also have them pair up and write scenes around a specific event, time or place.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School