Open Forum

View Only

Video Editing Software

• 1.  Video Editing Software

Posted 10-31-2020 09:54
    Hello Theatre Fam!

My high school is currently working on a virtual Evening of One Acts.  We are able to perform in small groups on stage.  Our plan is to film it and then edit the scenes together.  Does anyone have suggestions on video editing software?  Our tech guy at my school suggests We Video but I'm not sure it will have the quality we are going for.  My students will be filming and doing the editing themselves.  

Thank you!!

------------------------------
    Kristen Bishoff
    Dircecter & ITS Troupe Advisor
    Chesapeake High School & Chesapeake Bay Middle School
    Pasadena, MD

• 2.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-01-2020 03:55
    Davinci Resolve.  The basic one is free and robust.  Cross platform too.  There are tutorials out there.  Give it a try....!

Travis Guba
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Fort Worth TX

• 3.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-02-2020 07:35
    Adobe Premiere Pro, hands down. 

--
    Ms. Hillman
    Director of the CAPA Program/Acting Teacher
    Churchill High School
    Livonia, MI

• 4.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-01-2020 07:47
    We are using Premiere Pro

Sent from my iPhone

--

This electronic communication, including any attachments, contains
    information from the School District of the Chathams (SDOC) that may be
    legally privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
    applicable law. This communication also may include content that was not
    originally generated by the SDOC or which may be copyrighted. If you are
    not the intended recipient, any use or dissemination of this communication
    is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
    please notify the sender immediately and delete it from all computers on
    which it may be stored. This message does not necessarily reflect the
    position or policy of the SDOC or its members. The individual who sent
    this message is solely responsible for its content.

This email has been
    scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived
    by *Mimecast Ltd*, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for
    business. Providing a *safer *and *more useful* place for your human
    generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance.

• 5.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-01-2020 08:49
    How many computers/editors and what platform (mac/pc etc)? Are students editing?
    Wevideo is not very robust but gets the job done for students to do basic things. 
    But if PC, Travis is right that DaVinci can do lot. Premiere is amazing, but it's a real program and does cost money (unless your school already has an adobe account which is possible). There is also Premiere Elements which is a simpler version - though I've never used it so I can't say.

If you are using a mac, imovie does a lot. I find it frustrating because it works differently than premiere and other editing systems, but if you aren't comparing it to anything and have a mac, it will be plenty robust and a thousand tutorials to help you do whatever you want.

Good luck!

Nick Hoffa
    Drama Director
    South Pasadena Unified
    South Pasadena CA

• 6.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-01-2020 10:06
    You might also take a look at Screencast-O-Matic. Easy to use. Good support. Free or very reasonable upgrade.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 7.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-02-2020 09:01
    Kristen,
    There are a couple things to consider based on your purpose.

1. Is this just for the desired product, the one act?
    2. Is this for them to take skills forward to use on other projects and for life.

if it is just for this project, many students have iMovie on iPads or iPhones. As far as a basic non-linear video editing software, it is really effective and can be a great gateway software for editing and building skills. That being said it transitions into Final Cut which also is very easy to use and learn but Mac based.

If this part of a curricular function, Adobe Premire is the way to go. Fir mobile devices there is Adobe premiere Rush. For computer platforms there is Premire. Premiere is one of the industry standard applications.

By learning an Adobe product, you are doing a couple things: you are teaching them Adobe workflows that they can use across many products. Also, there are certifications that students can test for which bring money and recognition to programs in this time we really need it.

Davinci Resolve is great, but it's real purpose is Color Grading. It is amazing. It's free. I just think it's like driving a Ferrari to get groceries. It can do it, it's just not what it's best at doing.

Whatever you choose if you ever need help, or get stuck reach out!

I hope that helps. 

Randall Adkison,
    Assistant State Director for Festival Operations, Florida Thespians
    Past President, Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Theatre Director, Spoto High School
    Tampa, FL

• 8.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-02-2020 09:04

I have been using Adobe Premier Elements, and really like it. It is a one time fee, as opposed to the Primer Pro standard package that hits you up for a monthly feel. It has 3 "modes" one can use it in with increasingly more detailed editing options. This could be good for students who might only need a handful of entry level features. 

The Resolve software is great too, but has a steeper learning curve in my opinion. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 9.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-02-2020 13:03
    To answer some of your questions:

This is a skill and software that I hope they can use in future productions and post-high school. 
    There will be multiple editors working on the production. 
    Our students have been given Chromebooks to use. 
    The plan is to film in person but to edit virtually at home.

Kristen Bishoff
    Dircecter & ITS Troupe Advisor
    Chesapeake High School & Chesapeake Bay Middle School
    Pasadena, MD

• 10.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 11-02-2020 15:47

Editing on a Chromebook will likely be a challenge. Video editing requires lots of RAM and a good graphics card. Chromebooks are typically much lighter in the resources they have to offer (since they do not need them). Also, most of the programs listed are not browser based, and do not have apps. Perhaps others know of some that do. In general, it might be a tall order. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 11.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 09-12-2021 21:07
    Hi there, sorry for bumping but I think that one of the best video editors is movavi. It's just a review for those who are searching for an easy to use video editor, like an online one but downloadable. Here is the link to their support page with nice articles - https://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/enhance.html.

Popo Lino

• 12.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 09-13-2021 06:19
    ClipChamp is really easy and intuitive.  It's also free!

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School
    FL

• 13.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 09-13-2021 19:36
    Hello-

We Video is pretty basic in the free version, but has some nice features if you pay for it.  IMovie is great if your students have Iphones or Macs.  Another software that is nice but can be complicated is Hit Films Express.  It is very similar to Adobe Premiere.  It may have some issues with watermarks and such in the free version.  It changed since my students used it a few years back.

Adobe Premiere is a very nice editor, but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag since it is a monthly subscription.  But, your district may already have access to it.  You may check with any video or Business Apps classes and see if they have a license for it already.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Fisher
    Theatre/Video
    Cañon City HS Tiger Theatre

• 14.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 09-21-2021 12:08

I use Win Movie Maker and it is pretty straight forward. I've been cutting, splicing, adding music and sound effects to my lecture and lab videos.

Davinci Resolve is another good, and more professional, editing software to use if you want to learn. It's free for the basic version, but that includes like 80-90% of the full software. 
    Regards,

Paula Gor

• 15.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 09-22-2021 06:25
    Hello!
    Adobe Premiere or Movavi!
    Movavi is not free but it's VERY user friendly and has great options. I used it for our 1h30 film of Romeo and Juliet.
    Adobe is great but harder to learn how to use.

Marta Carvalho

• 16.  RE: Video Editing Software

Posted 09-23-2021 19:01
    I use Final Cut Pro X for most of our video editing projects.  If your students are used to iMovie, the FCPX is just a step up with many of the same workflows.  I frequently do multi-camera shoots of events.  I do record to external recorders (not the cameras themselves) that are synced.  This allows me to do multicam edits really efficiently in any NLE software.  However, FCPX will sync based on audio waveform really well if you don't have synced footage.  
    Another option would be Davinci Resolve (free version).  It will also do multicam edits very well.  When teaching students to use an NLE, I find that Resolve sits between Premiere Pro (most difficult for students to learn) and FCPX (easiest for students to learn).  

-----
    John Black
    Theatre Manager
    Seoul Foreign School
    -----